story begins in the late 1940’s, as Robert Simpson Kane began
an apprenticeship with the Myers Elliot Funeral Home, and began
courting a young nurse. In 1950, he and Gwen were married and they
purchased the Myers Funeral Home at 4812 Yonge Street, in the Village
of Lansing. The area became known as Willowdale, then North York
and eventually part of the City of Toronto.
Bob and Gwen inhabited the second floor, and Bob’s parents
the third. They all rolled up their sleeves and went to work renovating
the building themselves. Between this time and 1963 they were blessed
with 6 children and finally had to move to a separate home at which
time the seventh child was born.
The business continued to grow and by the late 1970’s they
had outgrown the original building and were looking for a new site.
A property at 6150 Yonge Street, just two miles from the original
site was selected. The existing building was opened in 1985, with
Bob, Gwen and son John, who was now very involved in the business,
cutting the ribbon.
Today, John and his Mom continue to run the business, holding true
to all the principles and practices that has helped to make the
R.S. Kane Funeral Home a part of the community for over 50 years.
The support of the community has always been and will always be
an integral part of the success of the family run business, and
RS Kane’s is no different. John Kane is committed to maintaining
the personal service standards that only a locally and family owned
business can provide.
Our large and multicultural staff is trained to meet the needs
of all of the cultural groups we are privileged to serve. It is
this dedication to service that will allow R.S. Kane the opportunity
to continue to grow with the community.